85th Legislature Senate
Thirty-one members of the state Senate are elected to four-year, overlapping terms. The salary of all members of the Legislature, both senators and representatives, is $7,200 per year and $124 per diem during legislative sessions; mileage allowance at same rate provided by law for state employees. The per diem payment applies during each regular and special session of the Legislature.
The address of senators is Texas Senate, P.O. Box 12068, Austin 78711-2068; phone (512) 463-0200; Fax: 512-463-0326. On the web: www.senate.state.tx.us.
President of the Senate is the Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick; Secretary of the Senate is Patsy Spaw; Sergeant-at-Arms is Rick DeLeon.
State Senate — 85th Legislature (2017–2018)
District, Member, Party-Residence, Occupation
(20 Republicans, 11 Democrats)
1. Kevin P. Eltife, R-Tyler; businessman.
2. Bob Hall, R-Edgewood; retired military, management.
3. Robert Nichols, R-Jacksonville; engineer.
4. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe; attorney.
5. Charles Schwertner, R-Georgetown; surgeon.
6. Sylvia R. Garcia, D-Houston; attorney.
7. Paul Bettencourt, R-Houston; tax advisor.
8. Van Taylor, R-Plano; businessman.
9. Kelly Hancock, R-Fort Worth; businessman.
10. Konni Burton, R-Colleyville; small business owner.
11. Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood; insurance agent.
12. Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound; businesswoman.
13. Borris Miles, D-Houston; insurance agent.
14. Kirk Watson, D-Austin; attorney.
15. John Whitmire, D-Houston; attorney (Dean of the Senate).
16. Don Huffines, R-Dallas; real estate, finance.
17. Joan Huffman, R-Houston; attorney.
18. Lois W. Kolkhorst, R-Brenham; business, investment.
19. Carlos I. Uresti, D-San Antonio; attorney.
20. Juan (Chuy) Hinojosa, D-McAllen; attorney.
21. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo; communications specialist, former educator.
22. Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury; retired military.
23. Royce West, D-Dallas; attorney.
24. Dawn Buckingham, R-Austin; opthalmologist.
25. Donna Campbell, R-New Braunfels; physician.
26. José Menéndez, D-San Antonio; businessman.
27. Eddie Lucio Jr., D-Brownsville; advertising executive.
28. Charles Perry, R-Lubbock; land developer.
29. José R. Rodriguez, D-El Paso; former El Paso County attorney.
30. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls; state senator.
31. Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo; business owner.