- Bracketed numbers - ,  - are used for multiple places of the same name within a county.
- A city name in all uppercase (e.g., DALLAS) indicates it is incorporated.
- In the associated names column, brackets indicate alternate spellings or endings of the town name (e.g., [-ville]).
- When more than one county is listed, the town is/was principally in the first-named county.
- A county name in parenthesis indicates the town has a more remote connection to that county, for example, the town was originally in that county.
- Not all names associated with one place are listed in each reference, but are included with the present name or last known name of the place.